Saturday, May 9, 2009

Pooh Cakes

Occasion:
Adam's (my son's) 1st Birthday- Family Party/ Thanksgiving

Theme:
Winnie the Pooh

Flavor:
Apple spice cake with browned butter frosting

Cake details:
I didn't plan ahead to make this cake with any particular theme, so decorating on this wasn't the best, but it sure was delicious. I chose the cake and icing flavors for a couple of reasons. The frosting was chosen to complement the cake selection, but the cake itself was chose because I wanted something the kids would eat. My kids are sort of atypical in that they're not the biggest fans of cake. lol But I also wanted something with a nice fall flavor since my son's birthday was on Thanksgiving this year. The cake was a success and everyone enjoyed eating it. The browned butter frosting was delicious, but a little difficult to spread. This was my first time making this type of frosting, but I think it turned out reasonably well. Working quickly with it seemed to be the key, as once it started to set it was almost impossible to manipulate. The decoration wasn't the greatest, but was cute, and everyone liked the sparkle frosting. It's a little pricier than regular tube frosting, but the kids certainly do love it! I also planned and made a mini cake just for the birthday boy. Some people call these types of cakes "smash cakes" but I personally don't care for the term. I just don't want baby germs on the cake I'm serving to everyone. lol

Pictures:

The two cakes together.

Close ups of each individual cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment